Tom Tyler is recommended by the Legal 500 Bar Directory 2016 for his expertise in the Regional Bar - South Eastern Circuit.
Family and children law – Leading juniors
Tom Tyler - A finance specialist.
Tom Tyler is recommended by the Legal 500 Bar Directory 2015 for his expertise in the Regional Bar - South Eastern Circuit.
Family and children law – Leading juniors
Tom Tyler - Undertakes financial remedy cases where parties have been convicted of serious criminal offences
Tom Tyler is recommended by the Legal 500 UK Directory 2013/14 for his expertise in the Western Circuit for his Family expertise at the Bar. "3PB’s Tom Tyler is ‘very meticulous, sharp and to the point’."
Tom is ranked by the Legal 500 Bar Directory 2014: “Tom Tyler - 3PB ‘Skilled in all areas of his multi-faceted family practice, particularly in financial remedy cases.’ “
Legal 500 Bar Directory 2014 ‘He is experienced in financial remedy, where there is an element of criminal conduct or confiscation orders are involved.’
Tom specialises in giving advice and representing parties in all kinds of family finance disputes. He is usually involved in matters of greater complexity but he is always pleased to be briefed in more straightforward cases involving divorce, ancillary relief, trusts of land and property.
Tom is frequently instructed in divorce/financial proceedings where a party faces restraint and confiscation proceedings in the Crown Court having been convicted or accused of a serious criminal offence such as fraud, money laundering, drug/people trafficking. This is a factor that complicates the financial aspects of the divorce and Tom has a great deal of expertise in this area.
Tom is instructed by the Serious Fraud Office as well as the Organised Crime Division of the Crown Prosecution Service as intervener in ancillary relief cases as well as by the parties themselves and affected third parties. Tom enjoys giving seminars and lectures on this shady corner of the law.
He has a background in all areas of family law and has in the past had a great deal of experience in public law children work. He has represented local authorities and parents in all kinds of cases from those involving neglect to those involving allegations of non-accidental injury to children.
Legal experience is undoubtedly very valuable, however one of Tom’s outstanding qualities is his recognition of the uniquely difficult nature of family litigation involving children and money. He has been through the divorce and financial dispute process himself and therefore offers his clients a true understanding born of personal experience. He is a genuine source of wise and sympathetic advice at a difficult and painful time for either husbands or wives. If a dispute is capable of compromise then Tom will almost invariably sort it out and save the cost of further litigation. However, there may be factors that prevent agreement being reached and in such circumstances Tom can be relied upon to fight his client’s corner.
Tom is direct access trained and is always pleased to accept instructions from members of the public who choose not to instruct a solicitor.
Areas of Practice
- All aspects of matrimonial finance;
- Trusts of Land and Property;
- Inheritance Act disputes;
- Asset Forfeiture and Confiscation.
Recent cases have involved
- Representing a well known professional footballer in his successful appeal of a child periodical payments order in Schedule 1 Children Act proceedings;
- Representing the Crown Prosecution Service in the Gohil litigation that is currently before the Supreme Court;
- Representing the prosecuting authorities as intervener in ancillary relief proceedings involving criminal conduct and confiscation orders involving every imaginable type of financial wrongdoing;
- Representing a party where the ancillary relief claim was complicated by conduct involving his imprisonment for serious sexual offences;
- Claims for financial provision after a foreign decree involving jurisdiction issues and very substantial assets;
- Variation of nuptial settlements.
- Mr Tyler represent a well known professional footballer in Re: TW and TM (Minors)  EWHC 3054 (Fam). A successful appeal against a Schedule 1 child maintenance top up order.