Employment and Equalities
Simon Tibbitts - 'Very thorough and very bright.' Legal 500 Bar Directory 2016
Simon Tibbitts - 'He goes above and beyond what one would expect.' Legal 500 Bar Directory 2015
Simon Tibbitts - ‘He has vast knowledge of employment law, and is always on hand to answer queries.’ Legal 500 Bar Directory 2014
Simon Tibbitts - 'He always has the confidence and respect of the tribunal.'
'He is practical, and good at explaining difficult concepts in simple terms.' - Chambers and Partners 2015
Simon ‘has been instructed on a number of difficult cases with poor prospects, but he won those employment disputes against the odds’ – Chambers and Partners 2014
‘a safe pair of hands’ – Legal 500 Directory 2013
‘incredibly diligent and knows the papers inside out and backwards’ – Legal 500 Directory 2012
Simon was appointed to the Attorney General’s Regional Panel of Counsel in November 2012.
Simon specialises solely in employment law. He regularly provides advice and representation to a diverse array of clients, from individual employees through to national companies such as Sainsburys and HSBC. He is a calm, clear and precise advocate whose questions are carefully constructed to get the best possible evidence from each witness. He adopts a friendly yet professional approach towards his clients
Simon can receive instructions on a direct access basis and in addition to the more classic functions of a barrister in providing advocacy and advisory services he has been involved with mediations, internal investigations and disciplinary hearings and is able to provide advice on internal policies and procedures and the conduct of grievance and disciplinary hearings from the early stages of a potential claim so as to ensure that the risk of a claim being brought is minimised from the outset.
Simon is a keen public speaker and is always looking for fresh and innovative ideas and ways in which to provide training to clients. He regularly provides training on all areas of employment law to in-house legal departments, HR professionals and law firms and if so desired a more specialist and bespoke training package can be provided which is tailored to the pertinent issues appropriate to each individual client and the sector within which they operate.
Seminars in recent years have included:
- The Equality Act 2010
- Schedules of loss where more complex issues are involved such as career long losses and ‘grossing up’ for tax purposes
- 2013 ET rules reform and introduction of fees
- Conducting disciplinary and grievance hearings
- Zero-Hours contracts
- Tips and tactics for recovering costs and tribunal fees
His knowledge and experience spans the whole spectrum of employment law disputes but he has particular interest and experience within the following areas:
- All aspects of unfair dismissal including constructive unfair dismissal
- Wrongful dismissal
- All other contractual claims (unlawful deduction of wages etc.)
- All areas of discrimination
- Protected disclosures (whistleblowing)
Recent Notable Cases
- Acting for a large national Respondent employer in a 2-week trial involving numerous unspecified complaints by the claimant of disability and race discrimination, victimisation, harassment, whistleblowing and unfair dismissal. [All claims dismissed]
- Acting for a Respondent employer in an 8-day race discrimination and victimisation hearing involving two Respondents, 3 Claimants and 2 interpreters. [All claims dismissed]
- Acting for Respondent employer in a 3 day multiple-respondent sexual harassment claim [All claims dismissed]
- Acting for a Claimant nurse in a 5-day hearing involving claims of disability discrimination, constructive unfair dismissal and victimisation. The Respondent’s main witness was critically ill and on a permanent oxygen supply which clearly necessitated careful cross-examination but we were successful in achieving an overall award in the region of £60,000.
- Acting for the Claimant (a nude male model) on two separate occasions against the same Respondent in a direct sex discrimination claim [Claims succeeded on both occasions]
- Acting for a blind Claimant in an unfair dismissal and disability discrimination case against the NHS, which with a large bundle clearly presented interesting adjustments to the tribunal procedure. [Ongoing - Adjourned PH]
Simon regularly provides tailored in house seminars and workshops to clients on a range of employment law issues.
“Excellent – let’s do it again!”
“Zero Hours contracts particularly useful”
“Really valuable information, thought provoking, really relevant topics which are going to be useful in day to day HR issues”