Richard practises predominantly in personal injury, clinical negligence, public and regulatory law and contract/commercial work.
- Junior Counsel to the Crown (B panel) from September 2015
- Deputy District Judge, South Eastern Circuit (May 2015)
- Legal assessor to the General Council of Osteopaths (February 2015).
- Government Legal Department (Treasury Counsel) Regional Panel (2012)
- Inner Temple Bar Liaison Committee
- Trustee of charity Just Advocacy
- New practitioner advocacy trainer, Inner Temple
Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence
- Catastrophic injuries
- Head injuries & brain damage
- Industrial disease, mesothelioma and asbestosis
- Fatal accidents
- Medical negligence
- Negligent care in care homes
- Employer’s Liability
- Public Liability (including animals)
- Road Traffic Accidents (including motorcycles)
- Military accidents
- Prison accidents
- Coroner’s Inquests
Public & Regulatory
- Civil penalties under Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Health care regulation, particularly care homes
- Prisoner Human Rights claims
- Data Protection Act claims
- Breach of confidence
- Immunity from suit
- Art 2 Inquests
- Insurance (e.g. ATE, LEI, road traffic)
- Company dispute
- Sale / Supply of Goods
- Debt Recovery
Recent Cases - more detail on specialist pages
- High Court trial, human rights claim by convicted murder
- Advised and instructed for trial in mesothelioma and asbestosis claims.
- Led by Stuart Brown QC in two high value personal injury cases.
- Junior alone at JSM in personal injury settlement c. £800,000.
- Junior alone in £2m road accident claim.
- Advised Ministry of Justice in breach of confidence, breach data protection claim
- Advised and appeared for Secretary of State in immigration penalty appeals.
- Advised national care home company on breach of contract claim.
- Advised national insurance company as to material non-disclosure.