Business & Commercial Law
Olivia has a broad commercial practice and receives instructions on behalf of both consumers and businesses in claims of all values. Her position as a dispute resolution consultant prior to joining Chambers has also enabled her to gain familiarity with complex contractual issues and an understanding of the commercial realities of disputes.
Olivia’s commercial practice encompasses claims arising out of breach of contract, debt recovery and insolvency. She regularly appears in court on trials, case management conferences, interim application and enforcement matters. Recent cases include:
- Successfully arguing that a leading windows and glass company had engaged in unfair commercial practices;
- Appearing in the High Court to enforce a judgment of over £400,000 arising from fraud;
- Successfully representing a leading utilities provider on a number of claims involving breach of contract and harassment;
- Regularly appearing in court on behalf of both employers and contractors in building disputes, often concerning repudiatory breaches;
- Successfully annulling a bankruptcy in the High Court on grounds that the bankrupt was mistaken as to the date of the hearing;
- Advising clients under service agreements on issues of misrepresentation and breach of contract for a range of machines such as photocopiers and printers;
- Successfully representing a school in the recovery of unpaid school fees;
- Advising on estoppel as an exception to the nemo dat rule in interpleader proceedings; and
- Appearing on behalf of companies in a range of matters including rectification of the register and extensions of time for registering a charge.
During pupillage she was exposed to a number of commercial disputes involving a range of issues such as:
- Arbitration agreement clauses;
- Misrepresentation; and
- Limited liability partnerships.