Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence
Naomi is a personal injury and clinical negligence specialist within chambers. Her practice encompasses all elements of litigation and advisory functions, but additionally related aspects of this area of law including inquests, court of protection work, regulatory work and costs.
Naomi has expertise in:
- Road Traffic Accidents
- Motorcycle Law
- Occupiers' Liability (for example playgrounds, hospitals, schools, salons, retail premises)
- Workplace Regulations (Manual Handling, Operations etc.)
- Employers’ Liability
- Defective Machinery
- Trip/Slip Claims
- Highway Matters
- Accidents at School
- Travel claims
Naomi regularly advises on quantum issues and deals with all matters of pleadings including complex schedules of loss incorporating future care claims, future treatment, loss of earnings, loss of pensions, loss of congenial employment and Smith v Manchester awards.
Quantum expertise encompasses:
- Orthopaedic Injuries and associated treatments including spinal decompression, open reduction and internal fixation, prolapses, strains
- Psychological trauma, including PTSD, anxiety, depression and adjustment disorder
- Chronic pain and Fibromyalgia
- Ophthalmic injuries – including sympathetic ophthalmia, Macular degeneration and trauma injuries
- Dental injuries
- Campylobacter, e coli, gastrointestinal cases (food poisoning)
- Myofascial pain (and CMP)
- Bowel dysfunction
- Respiratory disease and associated illnesses
- Gynecological illnesses and sexual dysfunction
Notably, Naomi has appeared in the following cases:
- Represented a client sustaining open book fracture of the pelvis and other serious injury following a fall from her flat through a skylight and into the premises of a bank below. Naomi negotiated a significant settlement for the Claimant at the joint settlement meeting which included a considerable claim for future care and loss of earnings
- Naomi successfully defended a school policy to use indoor gym mats as part of a game of rounders in a case where the Claimant had sustained head injury and brain damage following a fall.
- Obtained a successful result for a Claimant who slipped and sustained a nasty shoulder injury at a large national UK holiday resort.
- Represented the Claimant employee of a leisure centre who the Court found had not been given proper training in setting up trampoline equipment leading to lifelong dental treatment and facial scarring
- In a split trial, Naomi successfully acted on behalf of a Claimant against a local authority in a case where the Claimant contended that the layout of a communal block of flats caused a foreseeable risk of harm.
- Naomi advised the Claimant on a six figure settlement in a case where liability had been established following the Claimant being kicked in the face by a horse whilst at work. The Claimant required facial plating, intensive dental treatment and received a significant future loss of earnings award.
- Representing the Defendant motorcyclist, Naomi secured a finding of no liability against her client following a contentiously fought trial which turned on intricate and detailed findings of fact based upon speed of the vehicles involved.
- Naomi represented a child Claimant who developed alopecia and post traumatic stress disorder following a road traffic accident.
Naomi has a particular interest in dental claims arising through personal injury and through negligent dental treatment.
Dental cases of interest have included:
- Quantum matter assessing future cost of treatment after a child Claimant had fallen off his skateboard on account of a pothole. The child Claimant required intermediary dental work, crowns and replacement implants for life.
- The Claimant suffered negligent dental treatment over a prolonged period under the care of one dentist. Subsequent dental treatment revealed decay which could have been avoided with proper dental care. The Claimant was left with lost teeth requiring implant replacements for life.
Naomi is frequently called upon to advise in fraudulent insurance matters including:
- Exaggerated claims
- Staged Accidents
- Low Velocity Impact
- Phantom Passenger Claims
Naomi has an excellent understanding of the strategies involved in the above types of cases and has lectured on the topic as a whole, and upon recent updates in the law of this area, including costs consequences flowing from fraudulent claims. She provides robust pleadings and provides sensible and comprehensive advice. Naomi is frequently called upon to advise in conference upon these matters and to forensically identify inconsistencies and discrepancies in the evidence.