Michael Vere-Hodge QC
Asset and Tax Recovery
Michael Vere-Hodge is a senior Silk with extensive experience of all types of serious Crime acting both for the prosecution and defence.
He is a Recorder authorised to try serious sexual offences in the Crown Court.
Areas of expertise include:
- Fraud: VAT evasion, Government Regional Grants, Leasing, Management of insurance agency, International trade in stolen, cloned 4x4 vehicles from Japan.
- MTIC: Missing Trader Intra-Community fraud, or Carousel fraud.
- London Mobile Communications (MTIC)
Instructed by HMRC to lead 3 Juniors in the VAT Tribunal to successfully respond to Appeals involving a total of £30 million. A very large MTIC case involving mobile telephone trading.
- R v Kayani, Oxford Crown Court. Defence of a drug trafficking confiscation proceeding. A previous confiscation order had been made and satisfied some years before. The prosecution applied to have property assets declared to be 'benefit' in these proceedings which were acquired before the first confiscation order and excluded from that consideration. After successful defence argument, the initial claim for in excess of £1 million was reduced to an order for £150k.
- R v Ozanne. MTIC. Defence of a large Missing Trader Fraud involving £4 million VAT on the sale of mobile telephones sourced from Guernsey.