Business & Commercial Law
Louis Weston provides clear, uncomplicated advice and advocacy and a depth of experience in business and commercial actions before the Courts and in mediation and arbitral proceedings.
He has particular experience in:
• Freezing Orders and injunctive relief.
• Contractual disputes and restraints of trade.
• Claims against insurers.
• Sale of Goods/Supply of Services (including professional negligence claims) arising from
• Failures in the quality of goods, title and performance.
• Failed Partnerships and Business ventures.
• Sports Law disputes between players and regulators and sporting bodies.
Recent cases have involved claims:
• Acting for the owner and insurer of a Lamborghini Miura in a claim against the servicing garage, HR Owen, following the destruction by fire of the Miura.
• Acting for the Claimant in a case for loss of ability to obtain credit as a result of incorrect data recording on his credit file.
• Acting for a Claimant pilot for breach of an insurer’s obligation to pay on a policy for loss of ability to fly a plane.
• Obtaining a freezing order for funds obtained from the fraudulent sale of a helicopter.
• Resisting freezing orders for claims in fraud.
• Interim injunctions restraining breach of contract.
• Acting for an American technology company successfully arbitrating a dispute with a French multinational in the International Court of Arbitration.
• A claim for the resolution of a dispute over the development of technology in America involving UK scientists.
• Disputes over the performance of an infrastructure project.
• Claims for performance of industrial plant in test projects.
• Acting for solicitors resisting claims for professional negligence.
• Contractual claims over the sale, ownership and condition of horses, cars and aircraft.
• Failed business agreements between horse breeders, property developers and designers.
• Disputes arising from contractual termination and commission payments.
• Agreements in restraint of trade between dentists, veterinarians and retailers.
• Construction disputes in respect of commercial and domestic properties.
He is experienced in alternative dispute resolution whether mediation, round table or arbitration, and has delivered lectures to the Bristol Law Society and in-house training on Exclusion Clauses, Remedies, and Experts amongst other topics.
Recent Reported appellate cases:
• British Gas Trading Ltd v Oak Cash & Carry Ltd  EWCA Civ 153 acting for the struck out Defendant in a Mitchell/Denton relief application.
• Tanir v Tanir  EWHC 3363 acting for appellant in an appeal against entering a default judgment following defective service by the Court.
• Graves v Brouwer  EWCA Civ 595 acting for appellant following a fire in which a property was destroyed appeal on issue of causation.
• Cronin v GBGB  EWCA Civ 668 acting for GBGB in resisting appeal against internal disciplinary proceedings.