Business & Commercial Law
James is a civil practitioner who specialises in contract and commercial disputes. He has a particular expertise with construction and engineering matters gained from more than 10 years experience working in-house in the construction and engineering sector when he worked for two of the leading construction consultancy companies in the UK.
- James' guide to the JCT’s 2005 Standard Form Construction Contracts was published by the RICS.
- He led the team that advised the Treasury’s Office for Government Commerce on how JCT 2005, NEC3 and PPC 2000 standard form contracts measured against the Government’s Achieving Excellence in Construction Agenda.
- His experience as company secretary of one of the UK’s foremost renewable energy businesses gave him experience of working for an innovative, entrepreneurial company that operated in a highly regulated market.
- He has worked on construction projects in the Netherlands, Denmark, Malta, and the USA as well as numerous high profile UK projects.
- He has practical experience of managing contentious matters through adjudication and mediation and advising upon the conduct of regulated procurement.
- He still advises on non-contentious/drafting matters.
- He is an accredited mediator.
As counsel he seeks to match a robustly commercial approach with the rigorous demands of document-heavy commercial and construction disputes.