- General Information
Matthew has been recognised as a Leading Junior in the Legal 500 for the last 5 years in a row. He has been described as a “very competent barrister” who is “calm and effective” and, “who shows thorough preparation and meticulous attention to detail”. He has been given particular praise for his “excellent commercial and communication skills.”
Matthew has a wealth of experience in Employment law and Civil litigation, as well as undertaking niche work in Anti-Social Behaviour litigation.
Matthew regularly appears in the Employment Tribunal on behalf of both employer and employee in a range of employment issues and has dealt with a number of complex multi-day cases, including:
- an 8-day disability discrimination case for a Claimant in which the tribunal found that the employer had failed to make reasonable adjustments;
- a 10-day whistleblowing case for a respondent which involved technical issues of aviation law; and
- a 3 day race discrimination case for one of 3 respondents representing an employee of a London transport company
- A TUPE case involving 14 claimants and 8 respondents representing a local authority
Matthew has a comprehensive Civil Practice emcompassing fast-track and mulit-track matters in the County Court and High Court, such as:
- Advising and representing in a multi-track PI claim involving post-concussion syndrome and recurring migraines following a low force head injury at work. The court have given permission for evidence from four experts.
- Advice and representation in a High Court claim concerning the valuation of a company which was sold, involving a dispute over the correct interpretation of the sale agreement
Matthew is instructed by numerous large national retailers, transport companies, airline industry providers and a multitude of SME’s as well as several local authorities across the Western Circuit.
"Can I take this opportunity to thank you for instructing Matthew to represent me in the tribunal, he was absolutely brilliant in everything he did." [Employment client]
"Thank you so much for representing us on Thursday. We couldn't have had a better barrister!
You were so organised articulate and managed to get a grasp extremely quickly on a very unusual case resulting in winning. This is more outstanding due to the huge file that you had to go through in such a short time. We were very impressed with your confident presentation to the judge whom I think rather enjoyed listening to your argument. Thank you once again and we wish you success in your future cases. I would say good luck but with all the hard work you do I don't think you will need it." [Civil case]